Wednesday, August 30, 2006

This TIme on a Different Continent!

So, it's finally happened. I am now reporting to you live from a place known as Osdorp, Amsterdam. It seems to be the sort of European neighborhood where everything goes wrong in an Almodovar film: huge concrete apartment buildings, lower middle class for the most part, lost of kids on bikes shouting what might be threatening things in Dutch. But I am settled in (a little) and about to start my second day. My personal goal is to meet twice as many people as yesterday, which amounted to four. There was a girl named Daniella from Austria at the housing office who seemed very nice, though she had a ring through the gum between her two front teeth, which couldn't be good for periodontic health. There was the "caretaker" (apparently just a creepy title for the building super), who has promised to come back tomorrow to replace a light bulb and fix my shower's strange leak (Though no amount of fixing will change the fact that it is merely a showerhead in the corrner of the bathroom with no curtain or stall separating it from the toilet and sink). Then the taxi driver who was extremely friendly, though our conversation fizzled to some degree when I ran out of things to say about the manual transmisssion on his Mercedes (my choice of subject, for some reason). And finally my neighbor whose name sounded quite a lot like Timothy. He was very nice and offered to show me around the neighborhood and help me set up the internet in my room (which only required plugging an ethernet cord into the wall), though I was about to take a nap when he came by so I had to decline. I suppose I might have been more conversational with Tim, but I was so exhausted when I met him that I couldn't quite work up the will to discuss my academic studies of Feminism and Performance with a Turkish man. It seemed overwhelming at the time. After today there is a good chance that I might have a phone (and maybe also the number of one of my awesome new friends). I'll be reporting back regular. Now it's time for my breakfast of "Winnie Ze Pooh" yogurt and stroopwaffels.

3 comments:

Leila said...

The correct thing to say to the taxi driver, clearly, would have been "no, YOU'RE the taxi driver!"

Miss you already, lady.

Anonymous said...

I hate when people write "lol," but I really am sitting here laughing my ass off reading your account. I second Leila in missing you.

MWAh
-Ella

Anonymous said...

You are so freakin hysterical.
This may be my new favorite way to waste time.
I have a lot of time to waste so you better update every thirty minutes or so.
Love you,
Tahira