Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Flat Warming

It's time I confessed: I do not have access to an oven in the Netherlands. All of my high hopes and promises of making a Dutch apple pie with REAL Dutch apples are shattered. The lack of oven is one of the many short comings of my accommodation for the next few months. My shower used to leak in such a way that it was necessary to remove my toilet paper from the bathroom before showering. I also didn't have a toilet seat. I thought there was some sort of cultural difference that deemed toilet seats some sort of luxury item. But now I have a toilet seat, a shower that functions normally and a rug that was three euros at Ikea (but it looks like it might have been five). It's beginning to feel comfortable here. Inconvenient and institutional, but a bit homey. In honor of this (and the phlegm build-up the first cold of the season has bestowed upon me), I am enjoying a Hot Toddy this evening. Should it happen to be a cool night in your part of the world. Or if you are maybe just feeling a little cold on the inside, I encourage you to do the same. You'll have a toddy, read a little, go to bed early and tomorrow it will be sunny and warm and mid-September like. So here's my recipe. For those who don't know, I don't like honey and I do like whisky, so if you differ, please adjust accordingly.


Rose's Hot Toddy

1 Favorite mug
Hot water
A couple of healthy-sized lemon slices (about a fifth of a lemon?)
A spoonful of honey
Whisky (something that you would actually drink, Old Smugglers or cheaper will only make you feel worse.... I hear.)

Squeeze the lemons into the favorite mug. Pour the hot water over the lemons (half-way or more if you like). Stir in the honey (more if you like). Fill with whiskey. Sip slowly. Don't try to get drunk. You won't like it.

No comments: