Friday, September 29, 2006

I am not really interested in having a political blog. There are many writers on the internet who are much better informed and much more active than I am. I don't think that so many people of such diverse points of view read this sight that any great change or illumination could really be made. But just this once, I am going to indulge a political rant. Living as an American abroad, especially in such an international setting as my current one, I am questioned daily about the actions and policies of the US government. I always try to explain the complexities of the situation: that there are many Americans who are actively and vocally opposed to the current administration. It's really hard to do that without sounding like I'm making excuses, which is not my goal. I just hope that I can be an example of a conscious, thoughtful American, for whatever that is worth.
Tonight I watched a Google video about the campaign in Fallujah during the Iraq war. It was made for Italian public television using footage from Italian (and I believe British) crews. I remember the event (which took place the day after the Presidential election in 2004) vaguely. Honestly, the details of the occupation are very upsetting and somewhat nauseating to me so I don't pay as close attention as I should. And this documentary only proves how awful it is. But it also brings to light facts that are incredibly important for every single person, especially Americans, to know.

DID YOU KNOW WE USED NAPALM???*

Cause I didn't. It's weird to say "we" there, but I think that's a really important part of this. Being a citizen of a democratic nation makes you responsible for its actions. When flesh burns underneath clothing, no one is going to stop and ask who you voted for (or if you voted at all). And honestly, mentioning it sounds cheap. It is terrible and demoralizing to feel blocked on all sides. Your voice isn't heard in elections. The news isn't telling you everything you need to know. Writing letters, carrying signs, lying on the pavement in the middle of the city.... all to no avail. And I certainly don't have a solution. But I DO support the prosecution of the Bush administration in international court for war crimes. I DO support the supervision of American elections by international certification bodies. I DO intend to vote in the election this November (absentee). And I am going to continue to think about anything I can do to make changes. And I think you should too.

(Actually a substance with the same effects called M77, since Napalm was outlawed by a UN treaty and the US stockpiles from Vietnam were destroyed.)

No comments: