Friday, October 20, 2006

Recommendations!

I just wanted to take a minute to share some things I think are particularly good, in no particular order.

Colgate 360 Toothbrush Josh thinks the well padded, expertly shaped body of the brush makes it supreme. I think it's the GENIUS incorporation of a rubber tongue brush. Were it not for the pesky gag reflexes that prevent me from brushing the portion of my tongue under my tonsils, I believe the Colgate 360 could eliminate hangovers entirely (ok, the Colgate 360, coffee and ibuprophen).

Spa & Fruit Spa is the major purveyor of bottled water here in the Netherlands. Generally, the most common varieties are Rood (red cap, sparkling) and Blauw (blue cap, still). The confusing Marie Henriette variety (was it named in some bizarro competition?) appears to be a "light carbonation." But really the jewel in the crown of the Spa Empire is Spa & Fruit, which is basically sparkling water and fruit juice. Which cuts out a step in the process of buying seltzer AND fruit juice. It also doesn't have the sugar of those fruity sodas (though my passion for Fanta Pomelo could hardly considered dampened). It's available in many flavors, but I have yet to attempt white grape or lemon and cactus (what kind of cactus??). Mostly I go for orange. Which tastes just like the combination my mother gave me as a child, telling me it was soda.

The New Anti-Bacterial Soap in the Kitchen Mostly I believe the kitchen in my flat to be one very small step above a sesspool in terms of cleanliness. I can practically SEE the germs dying as I squirt this blue liquid onto the sponge. Besides hygiene, the soap has a very pleasant aroma. In fact, it smells exactly like the soap Josh uses in the shower. Although when I commented on this similarity to my flatmates I think it sounded a little pathological.


Fixing Your Own Bike (hearsay) Ok, so I failed. But it was exhilarating and empowering. Biking in and of itself is empowering. But really, it's not as easy as it looks to change a bike tire (I think it's easier to change a car tire).

Afternoon Naps (especially on Friday) Add this to the list of hangover cures. You get up, get hydrated, eat, get some tasks accomplished (going to the bike repair shop could be an example) and then go back to sleep for an hour. When you wake up, you're as fresh as a daisy. (Can anyone sense that today I might have "relearned" my lesson about how drinking rum makes me feel in the morning?)

Autumn in New York City I'm gonna be honest: New York can be a virtual pit of despair in the summer and winter time (it's just not the kind of place where you want to rely on artificial climate control). But in the in between seasons the majesty of the city sort of explodes everywhere. In Spring and Autumn there's actually NATURE in New York. You can see it poking out of little unexpected places (like the trees on that median strip on Houston across from my old apartment) or you can completely soak yourself in it in the parks (if you're feeling adventurous, check out the foliage at the Cloisters!). I am partial to autumn because of the color palate and the central role of pie on seasonal menus. And somehow it just matches the buildings and the smells and the rivers so well. Maybe I'm a little homesick.

No comments: